When we moved into our house my husband hated these shelves. But now they are a focal in our 'formal living room' and I receive compliments on them all the time. Do you have a book shelf that needs revamped?
What you need:
Whatever you have!! All of these items I had around my house. Even the frames aren't the greatest but I was going for function and appeal, you can always upgrade later.
1) Take everything off the shelves! Yes, everything!
2) If you have books, get the like colored books together in piles. Hey, I didn't promise this wouldn't be messy during the organizing.
3) Start with your center shelf, put something symmetrical on it. (You will soon learn I start all of my crafts from the center. I think this is the best way to get a balanced finished product).
4) Group your colored books in descending height.... almost. If you have it perfectly descending, I noticed it looks a little funky, mix it up a bit like this:
You will notice there is no rhyme or reason to the subject matter of these books. I literally raided our office. But we are going for the big picture remember?
5) When stacking items, push the largest item to the back of the shelf. Then line all of the fronts of the items with that.
6) Work back and forth, alternating from side to side to do each shelf.
7) Last, what to do with those items that might fall off? Push a clear push pin into the shelf to help hold them in place.
That's all there is to it!
NOTES: Color is good! This room is mainly light grey, teal, brown, gold and white. But I have a lot of color here and it works. When I first moved in I just threw a bunch of things on the shelves and it looked very cluttered. Keep it simple with space in between your items. It's ok if there are items left over. Keep stepping back and thinking symmetry.